Jerome Lorenzo Smalls a.k.a "Bubba Love" was born on September 27, 1963. He was the fifteenth of sixteen children born to Arlene Nesbitt Smalls and Thomas Myers Smalls.
Arlene Smalls began cooking at Oliver’s Lodge, in Murrells Inlet, SC in 1941. She remained there for 55 years until retiring in 1996. Thomas Smalls worked as a shell fisherman at Morse Landing in Murrells Inlet for over 20 years. He was nicknamed "One-Armed Marchy" due to the fact that he lost his left arm in a car accident at 18 years old.
"Bubba", as he was affectionately named by his sisters at a very young age, began helping his mama at Oliver’s Lodge at the early age of 6. He would pick figs for Mrs. Teeny Oliver and hang out in the kitchen where he absorbed much of his culinary knowledge. Bubba attended Howard High School in Georgetown where he played defensive end for the Tigers. As Bubba will proudly tell you, he was nasty on the gridiron. After graduating in 1982, Bubba went to work at Drunken Jack’s Restaurant where he is presently still employed.
"Bubba" was tagged with many nicknames over the years. Brim for the brimmed hats he would wear to school, Chillio from his DJ days in high school and, one more infamous name, Big Papa Puff. That name he earned for his love of big women. But our favorite, Love, was bestowed upon him in the mid 1980′s by an elderly woman who requested he create a BBQ sauce that wasn’t too spicy. After tasting the sauce, she asked how he had made it. His response, "With LOVE". THAT NAME STUCK! "Bubba" is known for his outgoing personality, very social and very LOUD! When asked why he was so loud he once responded, "When you come from a family of 16 head, if you ain’t loud, you don’t eat!" BUBBA FACTS:
- He is a big fan of NASCAR: he loves country music, fishing, eating crabs, adult entertainment, shagging and taking care of Goat Island.
- Considered by many to be the Mayor of Murrells Inlet.
- A member of Gordon Chapel AME.
- A big supporter of all community events and is always willing to donate his time to a worthy cause.
- Favorite drink is a 1&1 (shot of Jagermeister & a Bud Lite)
- Favorite college football team is University of South Carolina Gamecocks.
- Favorite NFL team is Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Favorite NASCAR driver is Mark Martin.
- Favorite country singer is Garth Brooks.
- All time favorite song is Rappers Delight by Sugar Hill Gang.
- Favorite time of year is spring, because as he says, "the flowers bloom and chicks come out at night".
- His only true love was Sonya Booth, who lost her fight to cancer in 2000.
- His only other love interest was Bonnie, who broke his heart when she moved to Charlotte in 2005.
- YES LADIES, HE IS SINGLE!
Bubba has always said the world would be a better place if everyone remembered that: Patience is a virtue & the color of one’s skin does not matter, it’s what’s in the heart that counts! As you can see, Bubba Love is an "INTERNATIONAL MAN OF THE PEOPLE"